Wednesday, May 2, 2012

How to solve the problems at FunDancers

As you probably know, websites cost money (and also time, which in this case is donated).  For the first year, FunDancers paid for their website.  The new president refuses to reimburse these expenses.

When I submitted an expense report, the past president just outright called me a liar.  The president made fun of me.  He said that my paying for the club's website was either "generous or stupid".  They refused to reimburse even one penny.

That's just the tip of the iceberg.  There are some VERY serious problems with the new president and board who completely ignore the club's WRITTEN by-laws.  I find it impossible to continue working for the club under these conditions.

For example, I learned that I am paid LESS money than EVERY other caller who ever calls at Fundancers.  The club has a caller pay scale.  All other callers get paid according to that scale.  I always get less than scale.  I have no idea why.  Every time I ask, I either get no reply or the club president mocks me by saying "you accepted the check therefore you agree to the amount".

I suggested that the club start paying me according to their own pay scale, and I would DONATE a portion of that payment each week to retire their debt.  In other words, they would NOT have to actually pay their debt.  If they would just pay me the SAME as other callers (and also start following the club's written rules, which the president has consistently ignored) I would FORGIVE their debt.

They refused.

Your Board of Directors decided that I can only call for the club if I have NO vote, involuntarily forfeit some of my calling dates, forfeit the expenses which I incurred on behalf of the club, and have no say whatsoever in club operations. In addition, I am paid LESS than any other caller who ever calls at FunDancers.  If I want to be paid the same amount as other callers, then I'm fired ...  and they'll pay MORE money to hire other callers instead.

Now I ask you:  is the board REALLY doing what's best for FunDancers?  Are they accurately representing YOUR wishes?

Let's try to keep strong emotion out of the equation.  I am NOT suggesting that the current officers are spiteful.  However, I am very strongly saying that the current officers are NOT CAPABLE of running (or perhaps unwilling to run) the club properly.  The club has written guidelines.  The current officers act as if they have never read the guidelines.  Even though I have repeatedly suggested that the club follow the guidelines, the current president always does the exact opposite of what I suggest.

Clearly, there's just ONE solution.  Here's what you need to do.  Go to the next dance, DEMAND a meeting, and VOTE THE CURRENT BOARD OUT.  That's the only way I know of to salvage the club.  After you get the current board out, you can hopefully vote in a new board who promises to follow the club's rules.  Even better, vote to not have a board at all and to become caller-run (just like most other successful square dance clubs on this planet).

If the above option fails, then just patiently wait for news about my upcoming caller-run club.  It will be the same kind of fun but without all the hassle.  I'm looking for a dance location.  If you know of a good location, please let me know.  I'm also weighing the various options, i.e. do I really want to start over and build a brand-new club, after bad politics and corruption have taken over our previous TWO clubs?  Perhaps the third time's the charm?  I've always had caller-run clubs in other cities and they ran just fine.  Admit it:  dancing is fun but meetings and politics and voting and by-laws take away most of that fun.  Let's do away with the un-fun things and just dance.

Please see the club's website (fundancers.com) for more info.

Here's to happy dancing!

No comments:

Post a Comment